Monday, March 10, 2008

Good Listeners


Some people may wonder why I have a photo of a newborn Miniature Donkey included with my profile information. The fact of the matter is this youngster is one of the residents of our household. Her name is Amber Rose and she, along with her stable mate, Benjamin (pictured above), reside on our hobby farm in Otter Tail County.


The first question people ask me - when they discover I have Miniature Donkeys - is, 'What do you do with them?' I suppose this is a fair question but it had not really occurred to me until I was asked. My response is always the same, 'I talk to them.' Donkeys are very good listeners.


Having lived with Donkeys, I have come to appreciate the importance of being a good listener. And being a good listener is something my clients and customers often compliment when we are discussing real estate.


I suppose it is because I have never lived anywhere else - only in Otter Tail County - that I sometimes need to be reminded how very wonderful this area of our counrtry is - especially for people seeking to step out of the rat race. Fergus Falls is the county seat of Otter Tail County - and Otter Tail County has 1048 of the finest lakes in the state of Minnesota.


So this is where I live - amongst a belt of lakes that runs across West Central Minnesota. I spend my days assisting individuals with real estate transactions and, at days end, I go home to talk with Amber Rose and Benjamin. As always, they remind me it is important to take time to relax, and that I shouldn't take myself too seriously, and . . . to be a good listener.


Jon Drews

No comments: