Thursday, February 21, 2013

Life Begins . . . at THIS Moment!

If you are like me, you've maybe had self-struggles with what you should do when you 'grow up'. Hopefully, for most folks, these struggles develop around age five and end by high school graduation! For myself, I wrestled with the question for a bit longer - into my late 30's!

Good grief! A third of my life spent trying to figure out where I fit in. Through the counsel of immeasurably valuable friends - and guiding faith - it finally occurred to me: what if I am already doing what I am supposed to be doing!?! What if I have been doing it for years and just was simply unable to grasp the role? Hmmm. Could it be possible? Yeah, it could. I can be pretty dense at times - especially when I let self-doubt and lack of confidence have a say.

It is a funny thing: All my life I wanted to work for one of the BEST organizations in the country. At the time I was working for what I considered to be one of the best organizations in my community but I wanted MORE. I started doing searches for 'best places to work' and came up with a variety of organizations that seemed light-years from my present location in terms of aptitudes, interests, and geography. Why couldn't the BEST place to work simply be the place I was working? It was a transforming moment - the dots connected - I finally could see the picture. If I felt what I was doing was not important, I needed to make it important! Similarly, where I worked WAS the BEST place to work. Aaaaah. Peace at last! So often the changes we most need come from the inside.

That brings us to the present - and guess what? The organization I serve, Keller Williams Realty, has been voted as one of the BEST workplaces in America! What a hoot!! Keller Williams Realty: now the largest real estate company (by agent count) in America! Keller Williams: Ranked Highest in Customer Satisfaction amongst Home Buyers and Sellers! Now how's that for going full circle!

I think it is pretty amazing how my career path connected with one of the best places to work in America, but here is the REAL message: even if Keller Williams didn't make all these BIG splashes - even if they weren't 'the best' - where I am today is the BEST place to be, the people surrounding me are the BEST people in the world, and how I am serving - right now - is the BEST opportunity I can possibly have. Embracing a lesson taught to me by our Golden Retriever, Nikita: TODAY is the BEST day of my life!


 So for those who skip to the end for the 'bottom line', here it is: Do your BEST to live your dreams and BELIEVE in what you do - every day! Life is not about where you end up, it is ALL about the journey traveled while getting 'there'. Life is THIS MOMENT! And for those of you that measure life's achievements with a Bucket List, here's what I keep on my list - in my bucket: Contentment. It is not really a very long list - I don't really need a bucket. It is not really a summary of what I have done or want to do - instead, it directs me back within to discover what matters most. Seek contentment in the life you are living and savor the contentment you find. Live the day like it is the best day of your life and the world becomes a better place - because of YOU!



2 comments:

Jamie said...

John it's great people like yourself that make KW such an excellent place to be a part of!

Karen Zell said...

Well said Jon Drews!! I feel like I am in the "right" place as well!!