Monday, April 11, 2011

‘Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs . . .’ *

Spring has arrived in Minnesota – and ‘everywhere there’s signs’!!

I was listening to my favorite radio station when the commentator asked: ‘What marks the arrival of spring for you?’ I guess some folks had posted comments at the station’s website that varied from hearing Spring Peepers to getting the urge to hunt for Morel Mushrooms. Hmmm . . . mushrooms and toads . . . Not exactly what I had in mind. And so it became my challenge: to frame the ‘arrival of Spring’ in my own mind . . . and my own words.

I turned the radio off. I was focused. I was in search of . . . Spring! In just moments the silence was sliced with the haunting cry of a warp-drive Wood Duck. Truly a sign of Spring!

A short while later - reflecting in our living room and mesmerized by the setting sun – I realized it was getting close to 8:00 PM . . . and the sun was just setting. Another sign of Spring – more daylight!

The next morning – on a pre-dawn road trip – a deer chose to launch itself across the highway not much beyond my front bumper. With my left foot frantically pumping the breaks - and white knuckles - I realized I nearly broadsided this most recent ‘arrival of Spring’.

At sunrise I’m dodging down a township road. The coffee I’m trying to sip splashes up on my nose. It is a typical gravel road - but with an abundance of frost boils. Notes of Spring have struck a chord with the roads - and they are unable to contain themselves. Note to self: make appointment with mechanic. Spring has just sprung . . . my front-end alignment.

Seconds later the adjacent fence line is flickering with the dazzle of electric Blue Birds. Zigzagging Mourning Doves and streaming Wood Ducks cutting through the morning light at the pasture’s edge. On a near, oak-capped hillside is a strutting Tom Turkey. Wow! All these ‘signs of Spring’! How will I possibly frame the ‘arrival of Spring’ when there is no canvas large enough to contain it?

Spring’s arrival is winter’s celebrated departure, life’s renewal, and the resurgence of hope.

As season’s come and go – and winter’s bridge ascends, I again find myself feeling outward beyond that frozen realm. Winter silence, chilled landscapes, ice-blue daylight fleeting – vaporized by the most radiant of seasons. I know – as do all living things – I stand at the garden gate. I recall youthful energies. I reaffirm my dreams. My senses are full and I am delighted. All I see, taste, feel, smell, and hear are consumed and still I am unable to comprehend the marvelous arrival of Spring.

Longing for your own slice of Springtime in Minnesota? Call me today!

* lyrics by The Five Man Electrical Band

No comments: